Saturday, December 01, 2007

Thanksgiving a week late

So, I meant to follow up my last post sometime over the Thanksgiving weekend . . . oops! These are my thoughts any way . . .

After pondering the sin of envy, I began wondering more about where envy comes from. Doug Fields suggested entitlement, but why do we feel so entitled? MARKETING! As my parents and I were preparing for Thanksgiving dinner, we heard that familiar jingle that only seems to play before Christmas: "Ch-ch-ch-chia!" Who in their right mind would think a chia pet would be a good Christmas gift? But not only could you get a chia pet, you could opt for a chia head instead. There's just something creepy about grass growing out of a ceramic head. And have you seen the commercial for the electronic garden shears? It's a power saw version of the old style.

To tell you the truth, I have no desire to have a chia pet or electronic garden shears, but I can see how those commercials and others like them can create a society of desire. What we had last year wasn't good enough, so we need a new one. This cell phone looks stupid, so I'm gonna get a new design. The effects of marketing may not affect our pocketbooks (or girl bags in my case ;)), but it's feeding our growing sense of entitlement. Ultimately, I think entitlement comes from a sense of ingratitude for the things God has already given. As a personal example, I often get frustrated with the rate of spiritual growth in my church. However, I'm failing to appreciate the little moments where I see God's grace shining through in someone's life. I want more, I want immediate change, and I want it NOW! . . . It's amazing how commercialism can affect aspects of our lives that we didn't even consider.

So, even though it's post-Thanksgiving, I'm choosing to be more grateful this Christmas season, to thank God for his blessings, and to ask him how I can respond to all he gives me. Worship is a good place to start.

No comments: