Thursday, January 24, 2008

Humor

I just got done listening to a sermon on humor by Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church. He's a high quality preacher, solid biblically, and he's known for throwing out a few jokes, lots of times at the expense of others. He helped me realize something about myself. I haven't laughed in awhile. Since I moved to the OBX, I've spent much of my free time hanging out with Jesus; for a long time, he was the only person who was available. I took my calling to youth ministry very seriously, and I saw every interaction with someone as an opportunity to speak Truth into their lives. I've acted more out of fear than anything else, fear of failure, fear of not being liked, fear of not meeting my own expectations, fear of offending. I've even stopped watching comedies because I prefer shows like Lost, 24, Heroes, & CSI. I need to not take myself so seriously.

I guess I learned today that responsibility doesn't mean I'm always serious. I want to return to being the happy-go-lucky Amy that cracks jokes, laughs and smiles, and acts goofy. Humor is great stress relief! So, in celebration of my new freedom, I think I'm gonna end my Sabbath with a fresh viewing of Waiting for Guffman :). "Stool boom" here I come!

No comments: