The fun continues on the OBX. This past Sunday, I had the youth over to my house for a cookout. The occasion? UNC v. Duke basketball, of course. Man, it's nice to be back in NC!
So, during half time, we played some Ultimate Frisbee on the vacant lots across the street. The wind was pretty fierce, and the disc flew into the canal (yes, there is a canal that runs behind the houses across the street, leading out to the sound). Of course, a rescue was in order. One of the youth decided it was his duty to jump in and get it. First words that popped into my head: liability and his mom. It took me about five minutes to convince the guy that he shouldn't jump in. Granted, he had already taken off his shirt and was ready to strip down to his boxers and get in the water. I was very proud of him for listening to me instead of his friends. For the record, it was about 50 degrees out, and the water was probably colder than that.
So, I told the youth I'd get the disc, but I needed to change. It turned into a huge event (bigger than Tyler Hansbrough's bloody face at the end of the game). Several of the youth came back with me; one girl video documented the occasion on her digital camera. I thought that it would be shallow enough that only my shorts would get wet. Oh no . . . I ended up having to jump in fully clothed. Of course, then everyone just stared at me as I tried to pull myself back up onto the dock, gasping for air, and shaking from the cold. The things we do for frisbees and teenagers!
The official Outer Banks Polar Plunge is this coming Saturday on the beach; I guess I was a tad early ;)!
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment