I've wrestled this week with the concept of discipline. I have never been a strong disciplinarian. I'm far too much a people-pleaser for that! This week, though, I couldn't back down. If we did not address the issue of discipline at youth group, things could quickly turn into chaos instead of Christian community. (In case this is read by someone at Duck UMC, be sure that I have taken care of this issue and am not in any way revisiting sin that has been forgiven. I'm merely reflecting on the idea of discipline and using last week's incident as an object lesson.)
The writer of Hebrews addresses discipline: "If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons [of God]. . . . No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." (Hebrews 12:8, 11) We should expect discipline because it shows that our true identity is what God has said we are if we follow and believe; we are His children. Discipline = Love. It sure doesn't feel like it, sometimes, whether you play the role of the giver or receiver of discipline.
I continue to stumble across the concept of obedience and discipline. I'm good at following rules. It comes with my personality. I'm not as good at the heart stuff. Perhaps that's why it's so hard for me to understand sin and grace. For a long time, I thought I was "OK with God" if I was a good person, if I did what He said. Most of the time, I did alright. But then I realized that I was missing the whole point. I don't obey for the sake of the rule; I obey out of love for God. As I realize how much I have made life about following rules, I realize how much I rationalize my disobedience and think I'm OK with God.
Donald Miller's words in Searching for God Knows What convicted me: "If we think of God's grace as a technicality, a theological precept, we can disobey without the slightest feeling of guilt, but if we think of God's grace as a relational invitation, an outreach of love, we are pretty much jerks for belittling the gesture" (184). Every time we disobey God, it's like we make a personal attack against Him. And we do that to Him after all He has done for us . . . (Sigh) . . . . . I don't want to hurt God anymore. He's shown me too much about how much He loves me. So, I'm willing to submit to whatever discipline that requires because I know it's out of God's love for me as His child. And I'm willing to be a disciplinarian so others don't make the same mistakes I have. I guess I'll have to get over being a people-pleaser!
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment