Thursday, February 08, 2007

Christian culture war

I have a map of the world on my wall that has Antarctica on the top and North America down in the bottom right corner. It reminds me that Jesus' kingdom is not of this world. Christ calls us to be counter-cultural, to look different from others. What does this type of radical discipleship look like? This summer I used these examples in a talk I gave to high schoolers . . . serving instead of being served, delayed gratification, salvation through Christ alone instead of religious pluralism, forgiveness instead of revenge, community over the individual, power in weakness instead of power in prestige, trust instead of worry, grace instead of death. This whole idea of radicalism inspired me because I have always been a nonconformist. I felt like I found a Christian justification for bucking the system.

Yet, I missed the most radical thing of all, LOVE! I've allowed my nonconformist tendencies to become spiritual pride, and I realized it as I read more of Donald Miller (he's pretty insightful!) . . . "I suspect any lack of love or feelings of anger we have toward the culture around us are not feelings that come from God, but rather our souls arising again to cast rocks at women caught in adultery" (195). The more God changes me to be like himself, the more I don't like the ungodly culture I live in and shout, "Come, Lord Jesus." However, being counter-cultural without LOVE is what Paul described as a clanging cymbal, an instrument that can't be used as it was designed (1 Cor. 13). How selfish of me to forget the lost people in the world! Jesus ate with these people; I turn away from them feeling morally superior. I don't get God's love. He asks us to be holy, but then he died for those who aren't. I'm one of those he died for, and I certainly am not all God has asked me to be. Now anything holy in me is a tribute to God's changing love at work in me, not anything I've done (except surrendering to him, which I struggle with daily!). Holiness doesn't equal superiority; it's just a sign of grace. I'll never understand that unless I continue to explore the depths of God's love and let that overflow into love for the world!

No comments: