In case I needed more proof that I'm a "young adult", I recently experienced my most intense summer wedding tour to date. This has been my schedule for the past month: 5 day trip to Houston for Raegan and John's wedding, 4 day local youth mission week on the beach, 3 day road trip to Pittsburgh for Lindsay and Rick's wedding, 4 days of intense office work, 3 days in Charleston, SC for David and Carolyn's wedding.
My whirlwind tour of the country has gotten me thinking about home. It's been almost exactly a year since I moved to the OBX. However when I had an incredibly hard time leaving Texas, I questioned whether or not the OBX is home. Those of you who've had to leave behind dear friends to pursue God's calling would understand. My seminary friends came to define home for me in a whole new way, but now we have parted ways so God and I can create that type of community here.
So where is home? I know I'm supposed to have one. I have this innate feeling that I'm supposed to belong somewhere. But God's teaching me that I wasn't made for this place. He created me for perfect fellowship with Himself. He wants to always keep me longing for that Home, and he has a pattern of sending his people to foreign lands to help them appreciate Home. I keep thinking that perfect fellowship with God is impossible on this side of eternity, but maybe I'm underestimating God. Home is both a present possibility and an eternal promise. Both require surrendering all desires for earthly homes. My questions are: How do we begin creating Christian communities that place our Home with Father, Son, and Holy Spirit above all but also demonstrate a similar feeling of home among believers? Or am I trying to separate two things (love for God and love for man) that are entwined? How can we continually remind one another that we are only at home with the Lord while celebrating Christian community?
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment