Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Nativity Story

Yes, I saw The Nativity Story this week, and several people have asked my opinion. Instead of giving my full opinion before everyone sees the movie, I've offered a few comments with the hope that you'll read the Biblical stories yourself and then go see it. Closer to Christmas, I'll post my theological opinion. Given that it's hard to spoil the ending of a story about Christmas, I'm breaking from normal habit and offering my commentary on the full film.

Theological Opinion:
Look up the Biblical stories yourself (Matthew 1:18-2:18 and Luke 1:5-2:40), go see the movie, and let me know what you think they left out or added. Then, post your comments here.

Movie Critic Opinion:
Well, I had low expectations here. Sad to say, but many Christian films lack the quality of summer blockbusters. There was definitely overacting on the part of the wise men and Elizabeth, Mary's cousin. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the acting of Joseph and Mary. The way they represented the angel of the Lord was a bit hokey, though -- I think it was the backlighting on his afro that got me! The negatives of the film-making didn't make it unbearable. I only-laughed out loud once at the bad acting (which is pretty good for me).

Ministry Opinion:
I saw this film with some young adults from church. If nothing else, I think the film opens up doors for conversation about the biblical Christmas stories. It puts "flesh" to the story of the incarnation, God with us. Any visual that can spark our imagination is helpful. It was nice to see a Christmas movie about Christ (although I still enjoy A Christmas Story and Elf despite their lack of theological value!). I'd recommend seeing this film with people in your church, non-Christians . . . anyone who needs a reminder that God became like us to show us how much we are loved. I'm gonna see it again with the church youth.

No comments: