Sunday, November 26, 2006

First Sermon

I preached my first sermon today. Well, I guess it wasn't my first ever sermon. I have stood in a pulpit before and delivered a five minute message before I was a teenager. But this was different. Different than youth group even. The expectations are higher. There's more formality, less responsiveness and interaction. Overall, I think it went pretty well today (meaning I got good comments from the congregation and only saw one guy with his eyes closed in two services). I talked about "Christ the King Sunday". Knowing that I barely knew what that was and why it was significant, I walked the congregation through the Christian calendar. Then, we recognized Christ the King Sunday by learning about the Kingdom, the Church as a representation of the Kingdom, and Christ as the King.

Somewhere during the week, I felt God leading me to do an altar call: Is Christ really King of your life? Is there part of your life where Christ is not King? The idea of an altar call freaks me out. The logistics are confusing. That sounds horrible! What I mean is, orchestrating the details so people understand how to make a commitment is a careful process. In the end, I realized that it wasn't me who would call people to respond on their cards. It's God; I just present the message and provide the opportunity.

Best post-worship service comment (from a cute elderly man): "I've never said this to a preacher before, but that sermon was scholarly!"

Tomorrow night is round 3 of Sermon #1: The Contemporary Service.

No comments: