Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tropical Weather

Well, I've now been on the OBX for over a week, and I'm beginning to get my first taste of tropical weather. As it looks currently, Ernesto has been down-graded to a tropical depression and will most like go west of us by the time it gets to NC. Hooray! As exciting as tropical weather might be, I am not prepared! I have been working this week on setting up my renter's insurance (sadly, having a parsonage that's insured does not insure my property within the parsonage). However, the flood and wind insurance are separate. The wind shouldn't be a huge problem for me, but my street has already begun to hold extra water. And this is just day one of heavy-ish rains when we are expecting more for a few days. Hmm, tomorrow's my day off, but Friday, I might be going to work in a kayak! That's a heck of a commute. I'm pretty sure we don't have too much to worry about, but keep the OBX and all of the east coast in your prayers as we face possible flooding.

Other than the weather, things are beginning to feel more and more normal every day. Tomorrow night is my first parent meeting, Sunday my first time teaching the youth. I made a contact with another youth pastor in the area today, and the two of us decided that we were going to start an OBX youth ministry network. We see it as a way for youth workers up and down the OBX to support one another, resource one another, and pray for one another. It will be a few weeks before I can get around to organizing the thing, but I have a feeling it will become an important part of putting down roots here. Being in full-time ministry is teaching me to take advantage of the little moments where I can encourage or support someone else. Yesterday, it was two female college students, one from Bulgeria, one from Moldova. I can't wait to watch for where God is moving tomorrow.

No comments: